The 30 beaches and natural coves, the coastal path, unique water activities and local cuisine are the great attractions of Ametlla de Mar
Located in the middle of the Gulf of Sant Jordi, Ametlla de Mar (Baix Ebre) embraces the Mediterranean and its 7,000 inhabitants – called caleros – keep the essence of this picturesque fishing village of the Catalan Mediterranean very much alive. The gastronomic days, the fish box and the local products connects you with the valuable seafaring tradition of the town.
Discover the essence, culture and history of Ametlla de Mar by following the information signs in the historic center, on the promenade and in the Port. A municipality that has different urban centers and developments such as Calafat, Marina Sant Jordi, Sant Jordi de Alfama, Tres Cales, Roques Daurades and Calanova, which host activities, local cuisine and Mediterranean landscapes.
What to do in la Ametlla
La Ametlla de Mar has 16 kilometers of coastline with thirty coves and beaches. We find from urban beaches of fine sand and with all the services, to virgin coves with Mediterranean vegetation. There are also quiet naturist and nudist coves, as well as others to go with pets or adapted for people with reduced mobility. It is the municipality with the most blue flags on the Costa Daurada and the first in number of virgin beaches in all of Catalonia.
The great attraction of the coast is to walk the coastal path that follows the GR92 route, either south towards L’Ampolla, or north towards L’Hospitalet. An emblematic excursion ideal for discovering the variety and richness of the beaches and natural coves that are home to Ametlla. Between the Ametlla and the Perelló, we find one of the most iconic formations of the Costa Daurada: the Roca del Illot, cover of the guide Mapilife de la Catalunya Sud.
La Ametlla de Mar offers a powerful range of aquatic and nautical activities. From the Port, the Tuna Tour experience stands out, a top experience in Catalonia and unique in the Mediterranean; or the nautical excursions aimed at families and groups of friends of Mementos. And from the Port of Calafat, a few kilometers north of La Ametlla, with Enjoy Calafat you can also practice various water activities and even rent a boat with or without a license to navigate at your own pace along one of the most impressive coasts of Catalonia South.
La Atmetlla has one of the most virgin coastlines in the Mediterranean and excellent water quality, which invites you to discover the seabed. The Plancton Diving center organizes outings for snorkeling or to start diving with the help of enthusiastic oceanographers.
Coming out of the water we find strong emotions such as those offered by the Circuit Calafat, a historic Formula 1 circuit that today hosts exhibition and competition races. The great novelty of the season is the new go-kart track, just next to the Mediterranean.
La Ametlla de Mar has a wide range of activities and experiences:
La Ametlla de Mar has a wide variety of restaurants and gastronomic terraces. The local specialty is seafood cuisine and the star product is the Balfegó bluefin tuna. Here are the recommendations of the Mapilife guide:
- Golpe de Estado Located at the end of the promenade and in front of the Port of L’Ametlla, this restaurant offers seafood cuisine, creative tapas and a daily menu. Paellas and fish dishes are specially recomended. They have a festive terrace that hosts music to liven up summer eves. Bookings at 877 91 61 22
- Les Veles Located in the Calafat area, this restaurant with an outdoor terrace offers one of the best paellas and rice dishes in Ametlla. They have a Mediterranean cuisine menu and a tasting menu. Bookings at 977 486 225
- Bar Pica Pica Mythical tapas restaurant in one of the most emblematic squares of the town, Plaça Nova. They offer a wide variety of tapas from the most traditional to creative and fusion proposals, as well as pinchos and fish dishes. Booking at 977 493 429
- Meleta de Romer Brand new restaurant in l’Ametlla, located where the restaurant L’Alguer used to be. Who has taken over is the most mediatic chef in the town, Jazmín Caramés from the Cuines program of the main catalan TV channel. Booking at 977 456 124
- SushiMar If you want to try the local red tuna in sushi format, we recommend this shop in the center of town, where you can order Japanese delicacies made with the best local produce to take away. Bookings at 685 17 68 19